Friday, September 10, 2010

Full of Opportunities


Where to begin? Yes, it's been one of those weeks, full of both highs and lows, but as always, God has given me strength and encouragement I needed at the perfect moments-it's moments like those that I just so amazed at Him and just fall more in love with Him. I have been here for a whole month, and it's crazy to think that a month has past by so quickly. I walked to Central Avenue today passing all the decorations for their 200th year of independence that is coming up on Wednesday, thinking about how the time has flown by, how some days it feels like I just got here, and others it seems I've had the same routine all my life. There are times when I still feel overwhelmed or not quite sure all that's going on and other times when I feel like I understand everything. It's been so good and so challenging all at the same time.


My students are doing well! My little challenging one has had a better week, though I'm still learning what patience truly is...not just with him but with all at them. I love them dearly though and am thankful for each one of them. They are so understandable with my lack of fluency in Spanish, and they are great teachers. It's been fun as they say, "We teach you Spanish, and you teach us English". Overall, it is so much fun to work with them, and I enjoy trying to make learning come alive for them, from devotions to learning English to soon other subjects. In the picture, they made masks today for Mexico's Independence Day which is Wednesday, September 15th. They loved making them, but I'll see how many parents like me after they have glitter all over their house from the masks-but hey, what is a good craft without glitter right? The biggest lesson I'm trying to teach them is to show love to everyone despite what they do to you for if Christ loved us enough to die, they can love each other-let's just say, they are slowly learning this concept=) But each day with them is a unique challenge yet so rewarding at the same time with every hug I receive and every kiss on the cheek.


Teaching the teens at the church is a lot of fun as well. It is fun to answer their questions and debate how much easier English is to learn than Spanish (though they still aren't convinced of this fact...but I still have time to convince them). They also are really good about helping me with my Spanish and putting up with my questions about their grammar or which word do they use more often. The teens also make sure I know everything that's going on, though some of them don't realize I understand most of it, granted this is partially my fault because unless I'm teaching, I tend to just be quiet, blending in the background, what can I say, I'm an introvert=)


But in all seriousness, I have been reading Acts, and I've seen how the disciples followed the Lord to wherever He leads, and in doing so, the Lord provided opportunities for them to serve in different capacities. I know God brought me here, but there have been times where I've struggled in what I can do other than teach since I'm still not completely fluent in Spanish. However, I prayed that God would show me different ways I can serve the church here and get more involved rather than keep to myself which is really tempting at times to do. And this past week, since I've been praying about it, three different people have asked me to do different things. It's so humbling because it was like I was underestimating what God can do in me by pretty much telling Him that there really is no place for me to do much with the language barrier, yet here He goes and gives me four areas where I can serve. A week from tomorrow, I'm going to be giving my testimony at a missions conference that the church here is joint with, so please pray because it's in Spanish...and yes, I'm terrified...however, I did say yes, so hopefully the Lord will use it for His glory. And yesterday, I went on visitation with the youth pastor and his wife; now to be honest, I really thought they asked me if they could visit me, and I was like yeah, that's fine, but in reality, they wanted me to go with them to different houses of the teens that were sick or haven't been in youth group for awhile. It was a lot of fun, and I really had the chance to see their heart for their ministry and the love they have for their kids in the youth group. They actually asked me to go with them every Thursday, so I'm excited to hopefully just be an encouragement to the people we visit and learn from this godly couple. They also asked me to come again to the juvenile detention home every Saturday, so if you could remember to pray on Saturdays for this opportunity the youth group has to share the gospel and to pour into those who accepted Christ as their Savior. This Wednesday, I get to learn how to make tortillas and make whatever it is they're making for the juvenile detention home because we are going there this Wednesday as well to celebrate Mexico's Independence Day, which will be fun as well as another opportunity to shine the light of Christ with these teens. Lastly, Mrs. Guzman asked if I could help with one of the other teachers Wednesday night at a booth that will be for children to win prizes. The church is having a Fiesta de Independcia to raise money for a couple who is trying to go to a Spanish speaking country in Africa. So this is another opportunity that God has graciously allowed me to be a part of. So despite my doubts that I convinced myself I couldn't really do much, God has truly been amazing and overruled my doubts by giving me opportunity after opportunity to serve Him in different aspects. So if you really want an opportunity to serve the Lord, simply ask Him and follow Him where He leads...He is sure to answer for it is His desire to use His earthen vessels for His glory!

Because of Christ,

Rhonda

1 comment:

  1. What neat opportunities my friend! I'm continuing to pray for you. Much love as always :)

    ReplyDelete