Friday, September 17, 2010

Ups and Downs, Nevertheless, Viva Mexico!


So, I experienced my first holiday here in Mexico...that's right, el Dia de Independencia de Mexico on Wednesday. It was so much fun, and I must say, I think in Mexico they are even more patriotic than America. And don't worry, when I helped with the "Fiesta" at the church, I wore green and white-what can I say, I didn't want to get deported...lol. This week has been pretty relaxful, since I have been off since Wednesday, though I've kept busy=)

My kids were able to Skype my mom's class in the US, and they did such a good job using their English-not even Spanglish, and they had a blast talking to kids their age in America. When we finished talking to them, they asked if we could do it again-I was so proud of them=)

On Monday night, the teens threw a surprise party for the youth pastor, who is such a passionate man with a heart for the Lord as well as us. It was fun, though they tried to get me to sing in English-which I can't sing, so I told them I would just teach them the words, so they could sing it with me-and they seemed okay with that...lol. On Wednesday, some of the teens and I made sandwiches and took them to the juvenile detention home with the youth pastor and his wife, so the teens their could celebrate the day as well. After we delivered the sandwiches, the youth pastor bought us all Porsol, a typical Chipain drink, though I couldn't have it because of the water, so I drank coke, but if you see pictures, they made me hold up Porsol, so I wouldn't feel left out-it was a lot of fun serving with them and hanging out...they are continuing to teach me Spanish and are always asking me, Como se dice ____ en ingles? So, we are learning together, which is fun! Then that night, I helped run a booth at the church's fiesta, which helped raise money for a missionary who is going to Africa, and it was so much fun to help and just participate with the church body here. The picture above is a picture of Emily and me at the booth. Emily is so sweet and is 21. She knows some English, so she helps me a lot, and she is so sweet, and I'm so thankful for her.

The major lesson this week that God taught me, and is still teaching me, is the importance of continuing on and the importance of being fortified in His Word. There are times where I feel caught between two cultures, Mexican and America. It's like I don't belong in either culture, but as a good friend reminded me, we aren't called to be comfortable in the world-and that's where spending quality time with the Lord is so vital. When we are pursuing Christ, when we are trying to serve Him in all areas of our lives, Satan is going to attack-spiritual warfare is going to be even worse, and we cannot fight it alone; we need to be filled with the Holy Spirit and be fortified through the Word of God, and continue to walk in the Spirit, for as Galatians says, when we walk in the Spirit, we will not fulfill the desires of the flesh. So as you pursue Christ, remember your constant need for Him and remember that while we are in this world serving our Lord, we are in the middle of a battle, and we need to remember the importance of the quiet, quality time with our Lord, everyday, so that we will be conquerors in Christ!

Because of Christ,
Rhonda

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Rhonda! I love the title! It sounds like a fun week! Keep pursuing Christ and remind yourself daily of His calling. I love you!

    ReplyDelete