Friday, October 8, 2010

A Clearer Picture

It's hard to believe that I've been living in Mexico for two months. When I stop to think about it, I can hardly fathom it. It has been one of the most challenging, stretching yet rewarding two months of my life, and I'm excited to see what will happen in the following months to come.

My kids are a blast. They surprise me with how much English they are catching on to. Now, there are somethings I will explain in English, thinking they won't understand if I use some English, yet they respond by giving me the English equilavent of what I said-I'm so proud of them. They are also learning how to read and spell in Spanish and English-and they are doing a great job, though I must say it's ironic to me when they ask me how to spell words in Spanish. I must say that I'm thankful that I had good Spanish teachers (though, I should have studied more), and I'm thankful that Spanish is a language where you simply have to sound out the word to spell it-it's been a lifesaver. Oh, and it does help that they are only in first and second grade, so I know the words they want to spell...lol. I am enjoying my kids, and the more I am around them, the more I have a desire for them to accept Christ as their Savior and really grow in Him. I asked one of my kids what his favorite day is during the school week, and he answered Thursday because of chapel-I just pray that all my kids will grow to know the Lord and be excited about learning about the Lord.

Last Friday night, I got a surprise babysitting job of two girls in the church. It was fun though; I taught them Skipbo, which they thoroughly enjoyed. After that, the youth pastor, his wife, and one of their daughters visited me. It was so encouraging. They encouraged me so much through the Word and their words. And I must say, I made coffee for them-everyone should be very proud!! My class at the church is also going well. They are doing really well too, and they are just so friendly. I'm thankful for them. The youth pastor started small groups at the juvenile detention home for the teens who have accepted Christ. It's a privilege to be a part of discipling new believers and teaching them the Word of God. The youth pastor paired us up, so there are two people teaching, and I'm still really nervous to talk Spanish, I must confess, but the guy I'm paired up with makes me talk, which is good. But please pray that the Holy Spirit will use ministry He has given us there to build these teens up and that they will continue to grow in their relationship with the Lord. Visitation is going well too. It's cool to see people's hearts for the Lord and to share the Word with others; it's hard to explain, but the joy the Lord gives when you are sharing the Word and encouraging someone in Christ-it's amazing. Last night, I was forced to talk-but the Holy Spirit was so faithful, and He gave me the words in Spanish to say=) and according to the person I was talking to, they understood me-praise the Lord!! I'm so thankful for the Lord for those opportunities because it's something I loved to do, and yet again, I've made God too small, thinking because I am not totally fluent how could I really share the Word or what's on my heart, yet God put this ministry in front of me and surrounded me with people who push me, which has been such a God-thing and a blessing-I'm so thankful to the Lord.

As I've mentioned earlier before, God has stretched me so much since being here, teaching me a lot and drawing me closer to Him. God is teaching me to really rely fully on Him and seek Him out more and more.
God is just wanting me to pursue Him and really grow more intimate with Him right now instead of relying on people. I can see God's wisdom in it all. For example, it is good that not a lot of people know English well because it forces me to speak the language more and reach out more. Also not having my close friends or family a phone call way, I feel like God is saying, Rhonda, I want this time with you, and this way you have less distractions and less people to talk to, so talk to me, share with me-so it's good just at time a little hard...it's definitely been a stretching couple of months, but at the same time, it's so cool b/c I have seen God is such awesome ways work in the little things-it's like I'm away from the normal distractions I had while I was at home or at school and am placed outside my comfort zone that I'm aware of God moving, even in the little things-so it's been so good and so challenging at the same time that I wouldn't trade it. I'm so thankful for the clearer picture God has given me of Himself and in ways He moves. I love Him so much more, and I pray that I continue to love more and more with each passing day! Thanks again for y'all's prayers!

Because of Christ,
Rhonda

1 comment:

  1. Rhonda, I'm always so encouraged by your posts! I love you and will continue praying for you :)

    PS. What is the address at which you receive mail?

    ReplyDelete