Friday, October 29, 2010

One by One

Well, another week has past by; time seems to be flying by. As they say, “Time flies when you’re having fun.” This blog is going to be somewhat different due to simply the fact that God has been showing me the ways in which He has come through and blessed me-so this blog is mainly simply giving thanks and sharing the blessings He’s given me since being here in Mexico.

But first, as always, I’ll share what’s been happening with my little ones=) Today, I learned how to make tomales at the school-however, I will save it for the real Mexicans and just enjoy eating them-it’s too hard! They are so fun; yes, to be honest, they can be a challenge, but I really do enjoy them so much. One of the teachers at the school, who also has a child in my class, was telling Mrs. Guzman that she hears my kids among themselves using Spanglish-which encourages me because it means they are learning. They are really funny-they still think that if they use English then they will get what they want, and if I say no to something or have them wait because I’m helping someone else, that means I just don’t listen to them or understand them (this is when they are talking in Spanish) I’ve notice that I’m still a people-pleaser, yes, even to 1st and 2nd graders-though, thankfully, I can say no when I have to, but I really hate to and hate having to give them demerits…sad, I know.

Oh, and I will share one more amusing story before the blessings start (though it was not so amusing when it was happening, at least to me, though everyone else thought it was quite hilarious) Last night, I went on visitation, and at one of the houses, they served pumpkin-yes, I did have real, legit pumpkin-don’t ask me how they cook it, but it was really good. Anyway, I ate a piece, and someone asked me if I wanted more, and I was full, so I said no thank you. And they were all asking, “You didn’t like it.” And I answered, “No, me gusta, pero estoy llena” (which of course in my English-speaking mind was No, I like it, but I’m full.” However, it is a good thing that I like body language because of course I was using my hands but also shaking my head saying, “Yes, I liked it.” And as I was answering, everyone started laughing , like 10 people. And I was so confused until one of the girls, Yazmin said, “Rhonda, you just said you didn’t like it; you need to say No, si, me gusta”-I will conquer this language someday-hopefully;)

As I mentioned earlier, God has really opened my eyes to see the many blessings He has provided. Earlier this week, I was sitting in a taxi, thinking about my sisters and brother, missing them so much, and all of sudden, the Holy Spirit was working in me, reminding me of all the blessings He’s done for me since being here. For instance, the Guzmans and their daughter, Elizabeth have been so welcoming, always giving me advice and being my Spanish-English dictionaries and just opening their home to me. The youth pastor and his wife have invited me to different ministries and always make sure I’m invited to every activity and making sure I understand what’s going on. God has given me six adorable (at least most of the time) students with great co-workers. God has been teaching me so much, and His Word has been so alive and such a comfort. I haven’t ruined anything when I’ve cooked-for those who know me, you know this is a God-thing! I’ve had friends who check-in on me and still allow me to keep up with them to in the states. God has allowed me to hang out with people here and has pushed me out of my comfort zone to really learn more and more Spanish and participating in things I really enjoy…the list goes on and on; I just need to remember as 1 Thes. 5:18 says, “In everything, give thanks, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” There are times, like in the taxi, I just wanted to feel sorry for myself, yet the Holy Spirit allowed me to see past my circumstances to see how amazing He’s truly been. So just like the hymn says, I will strive more and more each day to, “Count my blessings, name them one by one!”

Because of Christ,
Rhonda

No comments:

Post a Comment