Friday, August 27, 2010

Crazy Times=)


I officially finished my first week as a teacher-crazy!! It's been challenging but so much fun! Last Saturday, I taught people English who go to the church where I'm working. There were about ten people who showed up; which I'm thankful for-it's easier and more fun with a smaller group. And they understood everything, and tomorrow, I'll see if they remember it all=). As for my school class, I have six first and second graders. They are a lot of fun and a bit rambunctious. Then when Mrs. Guzman teaches them Spanish for an hour, I teach for 30 minutes, two 2 year olds and one 3 year old (who can now count to 5 in English=) ), and then I teach ten 4 and 5 year olds English for 30 minutes. They are so much fun, and after they learned "My name is", they asked me if I could teach them English words...so not sure if they quite understood everything...lol. Teaching my main six kids is so much fun, and they are extremely patient with my Spanish-even when they have to repeat their questions like five times, or they look at me with such confusion. Mrs. Guzman wants me to talk in as much English as I can, so when I do, one of my students, Daniel, usually will say, "No entiendo ingles, Maestra" (I don't understand English, teacher); it's really cute. And one more funny story, when I ask them, "Are you ready?" They say, "Yes, let's go", every time in this cute little accent they have. I also get to have devotions everyday with them, and Mrs. Guzman told me that she knows two of them received Christ last year, so please pray for the other four, that they will receive Christ this year, or at least the Lord will use me to plant the seeds as well as be a light for Him in their lives, displaying His love everyday.


People have asked me what my favorite part is about being here in Mexico. And immediately I answer the people. They hve been so encouraging to me and always ask about me, and today, one of the teachers brought me food. These little outreaches have meant so much to me, since I'm away from my friends and family. Yet these people have welcomed me and encouraged me in various way that leaves me just thanking God for them and for His faithfulness. We had parents night last night, and even my parents tried to speak to me (we mostly spoke in Spanglish), and they were just so sweet. God is just so faithful!


There are times of feeling inadequate as a teache and simply trying to grasp the languag, but I've been reading Acts, and it talks about how the high priest and officials were amazed because these were simple, uneducated men, yet God used them in an amazing way. And when the Christians prayed for boldness, the Holy Spirit gave them boldness to work in His name. He is the Holy Spirit and the same God who works in my life. God calls us to be faithful, and though we may be "foolish" in the eyes of the world or "uneducated", He uses them to shame the wise as He says in 1 Corinthians 1. God has been so faithful in these three weeks I've been here, and I am excited to see what else He has in store for me, for His glory! Thanks again for all y'all's prayers!

Because of Christ,

Rhonda
PS The picture is four out of my six students with their art project (two of them were absent today)

1 comment:

  1. AWWWW, I am SOOOO glad taht you are having a good time Rhonda.....I wish I had 6 kids LOL....but my class is small (15)

    I know that you are doing a great job teaching, even if you feel inadequate...that is how I felt all last year, and still feel to an extent. I know I don't have the language barrier that you have, but still, I understand how you are feeling!!!!

    praying for you....luv ya, and miss you.

    ~Kristy

    PS I can't believe you even you all y'all in your blog that is NOT okay LOL!!! :)

    ReplyDelete