Friday, August 20, 2010

Lessons Learned

Well, I can't believe I've been here for two weeks already. This week was spent putting my classroom together and making lesson plans-I already forgot how long they take...lol, but they are so much fun to create, trying to think of ways that make learning come alive for the students. School starts on Monday-so we'll see how it goes! I will be teaching 1st and 2nd graders, and then for an hour a day, I'll be teaching English to 2-5 year olds. Mrs. Guzman wants me to teach English for the first month to the 1st and 2nd graders, so hopefully they aren't too scared the first day of school=). On Saturday, though, I am going to be teaching anyone at the church who wants to learn English, and to be honest, I'm so nervous about this one-they are all at different stages of English not to mention there will be people older than me, which I don't know why that's intimidating, but it is-I think sometimes I get intimidated easily, but I'm just praying that God will use me for His glory!

In the two weeks I have been here, I have already learned so much, so I am excited (as well a little nervous) about what else God will be teaching me=) There have been times of discouragement and times where I have been wondering if God really picked the right person (as if He makes mistakes) but there are the times of feeling simply inadequate. However, when I am having these times of doubt, God is so faithful, whether is through His Word or simple words of wisdom from others. For example, this summer I read the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan, and he mentioned Jeremiah 1:6-10 and states, "When Jeremiah voices his hesitations and fears, God (the God of the galaxies) reaches out and touches his mouth. It's a gentle and affective gesture, something a loving parent would do. Trough this illustration, you realize that you don't have to worry about not meeting expectations. God will ensure your success in accordance to His plan, not mine." Well, I wrote down this quote in my journal and that night, I turned to this quote-God knew that I would need the reminder that it is in Him that I can do what He called me to do-to teach English to these amazing people, to take advantage of opportunities to serve people in His name for His glory. Another friend reminded me to look at Moses as well; he claimed that he couldn't speak, yet through the power of God, he led a whole country up to the Promise Land. That's the same God, who works through any of His children as long as we remain surrendered to Him, following Him where He leads! So is it alright for me to feel inadequate? Yes! Since, as Paul claims in 2 Corinthians 3:5, we are only adequate in our Lord-so, let us together not be crippled by our fears, but instead be empowered by the Holy Spirit that the Lord gives to all His children and follow Him and serve Him in whatever capacity He leads you to!
Because of Christ,
Rhonda

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing how God is already working in you! I'm praying for you and can't wait to hear how your Sunday night class and first day of classes go. Much love, myRhonda!

    ReplyDelete