Friday, August 13, 2010

I have been in Mexico for six days now-in some ways it has seemed longer, but at other times, it seems like it was yesterday. The people here at the church where the missionaries have their main ministry have been amazing, especially the Guzman's (the missionaries I'm working with), they are so welcoming and loving.
My dad, who flew with me, left on Wednesday, but he had a wonderful time here and enjoyed Chiapas, which made me smile. These people have a part of my heart, so I enjoyed showing my dad and now my mom, who came yesterday, the place God has led me to right now.
My apartment is so nice. The Guzman's painted it yellow for me! I learned to turn the pump on for water when I run out, which I usually have to turn it on for about 15 min. everyday, and right now, I take cold showers; however, Mama Guzman told me that she is going to have someone fix it soon b/c she hates cold showers-for that I'm thankful!
I have started lesson plans-it is getting me excited to start teaching, though it is a little overwhelming b/c at this moment I have the books stacked up according to subjects-but I get to start with the meetings and decorating my room next Monday, and then a week from Monday, I start-I am excited to meet my students and pour into their lives!
God has been so awesome-He is so faithful. There have been some times of discouragement when I'm sitting for example, in the church service, and I'm lucky if I understand half of it...lol. But on Wednesday night after having an rather difficult time understanding the sermon (though I had an English Bible too, which helps=) ), one of my friends, Bethsy, came up to me, and we had a 10 min. conversation in Spanish; it was such a God-thing, sending me encouragement when I just wanted to throw in the towel. I am actually going to help Bethsy with her English, and she told me she'd help me with my Spanish=) God is so faithful; it's so humbling and leaves me in amazement at the God I serve, who will provide what I need, even if it's simply an encouraging conversation!
Because of Christ,
Rhonda
PS- I learned how to make coffee-not for me, I'm still not Mexican in that area-but now I'm ready for visitors~ thanks to my dad who taught me how to make coffee=)

1 comment:

  1. Aww, I'm glad things are going well. I'm sure your Spanish will be brushed up in no time, and I can't wait to hear about your students! Praying for you, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete